Kamal is a civil, commercial and criminal defence lawyer with several appearances in the highest court of Brunei Darussalam. Kamal also actively engages in corporate regulatory and compliance advisory work for institutional clients and works extensively with small and medium enterprises on all dispute resolution matters. Kamal is also dual-trained in law and engineering with his highest qualification being a master’s degree in law from the University of Cambridge and an honours degree in Chemical Engineering from the National University of Singapore.
- B.Eng. (Hons), NUS (2002)
- LLB (1st Class Hons) (Buckingham) (2012)
- LLM, (Cambridge) (2013) – BPTC, (Cardiff) (2014)
- Called to the Bar of England and Wales (Inner Temple, 2014)
- Advocate & Solicitor, Brunei Darussalam (2015)
Civil and Commercial Litigation
- A successful appeal to the Court of Appeal against a High Court order for a substantial monetary award against a motor vehicle distributor.
- Successfully defended contentious opposition to a trade marks registration.
- A successful claim upon a High Court trial involving breaches of fiduciary duties.
- Successfully obtaining a BND3.4 million award in the High Court for client in an oil and gas contractual dispute.
- Successfully reducing award of damages in defamation in the Court of Appeal.
- A successful summary judgment application to the High Court involving a deed of assignment in a construction case.
- Resolved a carriage of goods at sea case without recourse to trial.
- Resolved a quasi-partnership dispute for an individual client involving several corporate entities in multiple high court proceedings.
- Advised banks and companies on corporate governance advisory and compliance.
- Advised several clients on incorporation, conduct and dissolution of companies.
- Advised an Islamic Banking entity on operational legal implications and statutory liabilities.
- Advised and assisted a bank on exercising collaterals and securities.
- Advised a local Financial Institution on service level contracts.
- Advised a foreign company on a ship arrest for a bunkering matter.
- Advised a finance company on statutory implications of new financing products.
- Advised and acted for a client on corporate rescue mechanisms in insolvency.
- Advised clients on trade marks registration, protection and enforcement.